Hoover Dam and the Hoover Dam Bridge
The Hoover Dam Tour is one of my favorite tours – it is a ‘half-day’ tour from Las Vegas.
Hoover Dam is a treasured National Historic Landmark for many reasons.
On your Hoover Dam Tour with Detours of Nevada you get the very best views from both sides of the Colorado River – from the Arizona side and the Nevada side.
Plus, you’ll get a chance to see Hoover Dam from the walkway on the new Dam Bridge.
The guides at the Hoover Dam tour work for the National Park Service, and they really enjoy what they do; they will answer questions for you throughout the tour.
Before you enter the theater, you’ll be able to see huge black-and-white pictures of the Hoover Dam construction process.
There is a section of concrete on display, a sample of the cement that was poured to make the dam. It was sliced and polished to demonstrate what the dam looks like from the inside – very impressive.
When you enter the theater you’ll enjoy an amazing film about the history and construction of Hoover Dam. Then, you’ll climb aboard an elevator that takes you deep into the dam, down to the Hoover Dam Power Plant to see the eight generators on the Nevada side.
The elevator doors open into a cave – actually, a tunnel carved out of the rock of Black Canyon.
The tunnel takes you to the Power Plant on the Nevada side, where there are 8 generators that help supply the Great American West with electricity.
When the Power Plant portion of the Hoover Dam tour is complete, you’ll get back on the elevator and go up to the exhibit gallery, where you’ll find excellent displays of the people and places affected by Hoover Dam.
A flight of stairs or an elevator will take you up to the observation deck for some stunning views and photo opportunities of Hoover Dam and the Dam Bridge.
Once you leave the exhibit area, you can walk across the top of Hoover Dam. You can view Lake Mead from one side, and you will see the Colorado River, the Dam Bridge, and much more from the other side.
You’ll have time to spend at the Dam Gift Store, and the High Scaler Cafe has food, ice cream, and lovely beverages available.
When it is time to meet your guide and leave the Hoover Dam Visitor Center, you’ll drive up to the parking area at the Dam Bridge.
The view of Hoover Dam from the walkway on the Dam Bridge is amazing; it offers you the highest accessible overlook of the dam and Black Canyon.
You’ll be 900 feet above the surface of the Colorado River with views of Hoover Dam and Lake Mead that are simply stunning.
Then, you’ll board your custom touring van or luxury mini-coach for a comfortable ride back to Las Vegas.
When you are finished with the Hoover Dam Tour – Dam Bridge Tour, you will understand why it is one of my favorites!
Not The Biggest, Just The Best
Over the years, our guests helped us design custom touring vehicles that are comfortable for long distances, and help us maintain an intimate ‘small group experience.’
Detours of Nevada’s guides and drivers love what they do; they were hand-picked from the best in the industry to drive for Detours.
This winning combination has made Detours of Nevada one of the most popular and successful tour companies in the Southwest.
First-Class Transportation: ‘Guest-Designed Interiors’.
- Reclining captain seats
- Large tinted windows for excellent viewing
- High-capacity air conditioning for passenger comfort
- Foam insulated walls for a quiet ride and excellent climate control
Custom Touring Vans
The standard bench seats from Detours’ new 15 passenger vans were replaced with only 8 captains chairs, so every seat is a window seat and an aisle seat.
With all that extra ‘elbow-room’, Detours of Nevada guests are comfortable, even on long distance tours.
Included in Hoover Dam Tours:
- Hotel pickup and drop off at most Las Vegas hotels
- Comfortable, Spacious, Air-Conditioned Transportation
- Hoover Dam Power Plant Tour Entrance Fees
- Bottled water
- Guided Narrative from Las Vegas, through Boulder City to Hoover Dam
- Plenty of time for photos, visit the gift shop, to walk on Hoover Dam and the Hoover Dam Bridge
- Gratuity: “If you had a good ride, tip your guide!”
- Food and snacks: Available at High Scaler Cafe at Visitor Center
- Weather at Hoover Dam is similar to Las Vegas.
- It is commonly 10 degrees warmer at Hoover Dam than in Las Vegas.
- Wind blows through Black Canyon up the face of the dam every day.
- It is cooler while underground inside the dam.
- We recommend you layer your clothing for optimum comfort.
- Bring your camera!
Doc Wymer, Las Vegas Tour Guide
Latest posts by Martin McUber, Las Vegas Tour Guide
- Building Skywalk at Grand Canyon West: From a Las Vegas Tour Guide - December 8, 2019
- Boulder Dam Tour or Hoover Dam Tour - May 11, 2012
- A Visit To Hoover Dam and Hoover Dam Bridge - May 10, 2012